Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dimassi's All Day Mediterranean Buffet - $/$$

Located: Northwest, 12636 Research Blvd., 78759
www.dimassisbuffet.com

Overall Rating: C+
As far as buffets, Dimassi's Mediterranean Buffet is decent. Though neither of us plan on returning, we can say that the majority was fresh and the restaurant was clean. It's a pay-up-front establishment that's completely self-service. Located in an old shopping center near the Mongolian Grill on N. 183, we honestly expected less when we walked in and were pleasantly surprised by the smells and the friendly atmosphere. This restaurant, though it seems like a family's first attempt, is actually part of a chain of restaurants that started in Houston.

Jessie Says:
Food - OK, to be fair - it is a buffet. So, dry chicken is expected so I will not hold that against them. It makes me wonder if the all-day buffet concept fails with food that requires such slow cooking and tender care. I didn't truly enjoy anything except for the baklavah. If I had to eat there again, I'd probably have the halibut, the chicken kabob, Lebanese salad, and the pita bread. The rest I could do without.

Service - N/A. I'm not thrilled with the "completely self-serve" idea. I don't trust myself enough to handle a drink, plate of food, silverware, and napkins all in one run. Our dirty dishes were picked up in a timely manner however and I guess that's really all you can ask in a buffet setting.

Decor - I describe it as institutional. The space is huge and cold. The walls and decoration have a certain DIY thing going. They obviously decided to not completely redo the space when they took it over. There are still empty TV stands hanging from the walls. The furniture is new (some of the plastic still on some of the chairs) and the buffet is granite which is quite nice - a worthy investment certainly.

Cleanliness: It was clean. They did a good job busing the tables, though the floor could use a sweeping after each customer. The tile doesn't hide anything!

Neil Says:
Food-When I think about the concept of Mediterranean buffet I am slightly overwhelmed. That's quite a lot of coastline.... I was surprised by the overall freshness of the food; the salad was crisp and the steam trays were swapped and stirred constantly. I enjoyed almost everything I tried though nothing was fantastic. Or rather, I didn't dislike anything. The chicken kabob was good, as was the falafel. The lamb was well cooked and tender. I would say that if you (or someone you know) are curious as to what lies outside your comfort zone of chain restaurants, then check it out.

Service- Buffet was well tended, as were the empty plates and recently vacated tables. It looked like the management took an active part in maintaining the establishment, which is always a good sign.

Decor- Lots of windows, which I enjoyed. Granted an unobstructed view of the parking lot next door isn't my first choice, but I like natural light however I can get it. The pita oven near the buffet line is a nice touch. The whole place felt just slightly empty, despite the fact that there were many other patrons. It is a large room and could use a little more warmth; something to make the place feel more like...well Mediterranean.

Cleanliness- Quite clean. The line was constantly wiped down, the tables and chairs were clean. I agree about the floor tile, but well kept overall.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Yay!

I'm strangely intrigued by the mediocre nature of this buffet... how much did it cost?

I linked you to my blog. Can't wait for next weekend's post. Maybe one day I can even be a guest blogger... if only I could be so lucky.

Once-A-Week Reviewers said...

The buffet was $11.99 per person at dinner time. No complaints on the price. If it had been a few dollars more we probably would have been outraged.

Amber said...

We went to Dimassi's for lunch today! We just happened to drive by on our way to the dentist, and decided it would be worth a try.

The lunch buffet had just been put out (it was about 11:15am). Everything was fresh and steaming hot, and as a vegetarian there were plenty of great options for me. The falafel was the highlight - moist and flavorful. Chuck enjoyed the meaty selections, and we both thought the desserts were top notch.

If you hadn't wrote this one up, we never would have even noticed the place. Even knowing you only awarded it a C+, I thought it was definitely worth a try, and we were not disappointed. I'd rate it a B+.